In
one of my previous posts, I had suggested that India could be
a big arms exporter, rather than the biggest importer. The following incidents
vindicate what I had said. And it can be a big solution to many of the
country’s problems.
During
the Conclave of India Today, when Narendra Modi was giving his keynote address,
Gen. V.P. Malik, former Chief of the Indian Army got up to ask him a very
relevant question. He said that India’s defence budget was Rs.2 lakh thousand
crores, and he also added in jest that ‘I don’t know how many zeroes the figure
has’. He went on to say that 70% of India’s defence equipment is imported and
India is the largest importer of arms, and this leads to corruption. He asked
Modi what his view was. Modi’s reply was that he strongly believes that India
can not only be self-sufficient, but also can, and should be a big exporter of
arms. He told Malik that during ‘Vibrant Gujarat 2013’, where 121 countries
were represented, he had made a separate category of arms suppliers and ex-army
generals, who advise the government on defence and also Indian companies,
engaged in, or interested in manufacturing such equipment.
“Work
has already started in Gujarat to make it a hub of such military hardware”,
says Modi. “In fact, just a few moments ago, I met an executive of a foreign
company, which was interested in making defence aircraft, as I was on the way
to the Conclave, and I told him I was interested and to please meet me later”.
Only
days ago, the defence minister asked the Army to place a big order of Rs.1300
crore for 155mm howitzers, similar or better than bofors, to an Indian company,
which I believe is L&T. Normally, the Army, after 10 to 15 years of field
trials, rejects Indian made equipment on some pretext or the other, and even
this order would have gone to some foreign company. And the trials for these
Indian guns have been completed this time around.
Tatas
make entire bodies of helicopters for a well-known US helicopter company. Soon
they will start making the entire helicopters.
If
we can make hitech equipment like missiles, howitzers, fighter jets, choppers,
then aircraft carriers is no big deal.
China
has a 10% higher defence budget than India, but look at its military might,
that it has now begun to challenge powers like US & Russia.
Even
in case of passenger jets, there are only two major manufacturers – Airbus
& Boeing. They have a cartel. China has decided to challenge them, and a
year or two ago has started on an ambitious project to make as many as 3,000
passenger jets, may not be in the class of Airbus, but they are getting there.
If
India too takes up such projects and completes them within time, we could be
big exporters of high value goods. We would then have a current account
surplus, instead of a huge deficit and year after year we are tinkering with
taxes, and inviting foreigners to dump their goods in India.
There
is no ‘out-of-the-box’ thinking, because we do not have a visionary leader.
That is the root cause of high inflation, fiscal deficits, high interest rates
and all the economic malaises.
Sonia
Gandhi has no vision except to remain in power by hook or by crook.
We
need somebody like a Narendra Modi or a Raj Thackeray or Arvind Kejriwal. I am
sure in a 1.2 billion population, there would be atleast a 100 good men, but,
“power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely”. So, those in power should
keep such people out, who are drunk in the addiction of power.
But
change will come and I think soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment